Wednesday, August 19, 2009

How to photograph food

As I am cleaning out this month I am going through magazines and ripping out pages I want to keep and setting them aside in a box, then sending on the magazines to local areas who could use them. As I was goint through my May 2008 Rachael Ray I found a brief note as part of an article that was..."How to...Photograph Food" and I thought I would put it on here for others too.

From Rachael Ray magazine May 2008 p. 30
It's easy to take photographs as tasty as the dishes themselves, especially with these tips from food photographer Lou Manna:

Reflect Light. Prop a mirror or foil up next to the plate to aim light onto the dish; to diffuse light, prop up wax paper instead. AVOID DISTRACTING BACKGROUND PATTERNS. Stick with solid-color plates and fabrics. GET IN THERE! Most beginners shoot from too far away, Manna says. The food should actually look huge in the camera's viewfinder. (And don't shoot straight on-angles are more interesting.)


Well, maybe I can get better pics of food now that I have these tips of info.

No comments: